Players create and perform GPS-enabled tasks. A task is a response to a particular site, inspired by its design, use, rituals, acoustics, history, etc. A description of the task is uploaded in audio, text, and/or image. As the file is geo-referenced it can only be unlocked when someone else passes these coordinates. The results of the (collectively) performed tasks are uploaded in realtime. Points can be assigned to performed tasks. The player with the highest score wins.
The prerequisites for creating and performing tasks is that you are outside and carry a mobile phone with 3G. You can participate in this game by creating tasks, performing tasks, and assigning points.
- Location Services turned on for the browser. Settings > privacy > location services > on for browser.
- Go to the website performativemapping.net/pmg and register or login. You can use an alias and fake email.
- Select 'create tasks' if you want to add a new task to the game. Press + and choose (a) medium: text, audio and/or image. If you choose to take an image do this in landscape-mode!
- Select 'play game' if you want to perform a task. You will see a map with green dots; the places where the site-specific tasks can be ‘picked up’. The moment you enter such area (range of 20 metres) a task will automatically pop up on your screen. Choose a medium: text, audio and/or image. If you choose to take an image do this in landscape-mode! After performing the task the green dot turns blue.
- On a computer screen select 'game status' if you want to see the results of everyone’s performed tasks. You can assign points (5 as highest score) to the performed tasks.